The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation endeavors to strengthen, promote, and, where necessary, defend the contributions of the humanities and the arts to human flourishing and to the well-being of diverse and democratic societies. To this end, we support exemplary institutions of higher education and culture as they renew and provide access to an invaluable heritage of ambitious, path-breaking work.
The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, a not-for-profit corporation under the laws of the State of New York, was formed on June 30, 1969, through the consolidation of two existing foundations-the Avalon Foundation and the Old Dominion Foundation. The Avalon Foundation had been established in 1940 by Ailsa Mellon Bruce, daughter of Andrew W. Mellon. The Old Dominion Foundation had been established in 1941 by Paul Mellon, son of Andrew W. Mellon. When the two foundations were consolidated, the Foundation adopted the name The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation to honor their father. At the end of 1969, the assets of the Foundation totaled $273 million. By the end of 2014, the total endowment was approximately $6.4 billion; annual grant making came to approximately $232 million.